A few weeks ago I was interviewed by a young woman for a small piece she was writing on inspiration and Goals. I thought I’d share it with you.
1. During your life so far, what has been one of the biggest goals you’ve set that you were able to achieve? I have always had issues with my weight…growing up as the chubby girl. Overcoming a weight issue has been a goal since I was a child.
2. What did you have to do to accomplish that goal? I began working out regularly and eating better and making better choices in my life.
3. Where did you get your inspiration? I saw a photo of myself one day and did not recognize that it was me. The girl in the photo was very overweight and I couldn’t believe it was me. I inspired myself in that moment to fix my life. I started an exercise program when I got home that evening and have not looked back.
4. Were there any obstacles that got in your way? If so, how did you handle that? What about people? Were there any people who discouraged you while reaching for your goal? I have a heart condition and was told when I was in my teens that I would have a pacemaker by the time I was 30. I was worried at first about how vigorous exercise might harm me, but in all honesty, my heart is nice and healthy now that the extra weight is off. I still struggle with it on occasion and it is genetic, but at least I don’t have to worry about jeopardizing my health myself. As for people…there are always people who want to see you fail. I still come across those people in my life. But the worst was a “friend” who told me to stop losing weight because I “look sick”. It’s funny how she never commented on my weight when I had an extra 60 pounds on me.
5. Did you ever think about giving up? If so, how did you overcome that feeling? I never thought about giving up. I knew what I was doing was benefiting my life.
6. When you achieved your goal, how did it help you in life? Or what is life like now that you have accomplished your goal? Once I reached my goal, I looked into how I could help others reach theirs. I got certified as a personal trainer and as a nutrition and weight loss coach. I now teach boot camps and other classes and coach people one-on-one.
PS (Thank you Lilly for this. <3)